Tuesday 10 July 2018

Stranger On A Bench


As I sat at my desk one afternoon my
mind wandering from self-imposed tasks
The sun beating down with a smile
I happened to glance outside my
window and was arrested by the sight I spied
Down below on the old wooden bench
By the canal, just outside my fence
Sat a strange man in an orange jacket –
A stranger on a bench
Unaware he was being watched
He sat there in meditation
An enviable calm claiming his face as
He drank in the sights around
Him with complete absorption
Being no stranger myself
I watched him with vague contempt
Wondering what he saw in these parts
That warranted such intent
The longer I watched however the
Less my contempt grew
While deep within a different
Feeling stirred anew

As I kept looking I became
Aware of a strange development
Sights and sounds until now as familiar
As one’s own raiment suddenly
Seemed no longer mundane
My wandering mind found in
That stranger an unexpected kin
And abandoning my workaday thoughts I joined
Him as he journeyed the land he was in
New sights came to the eyes, new sounds reached the ears
The rustling of the leaves, the pigeon on the roof
The far-off sound of a barking dog, the crying of a petulant child
Shimmering reflections in the water, the gentle swaying of lily stems
All these and more created a melody soothing and clear
And I drank in the music being played by this
Orchestra conducted by an unseen hand
Putting on a show peaceful yet grand
A quiet calm descending on me as
I enjoyed this welcome reprieve


I don’t know what it was, a
Sudden chill in the air or the
Thought of deeds unfinished
But all of a sudden the man got up
Jerking me back to my desk as he
Made ready to leave
As I watched him go however
I couldn’t help but wonder
If each of us stuck in our personal trench
Could do now and then,
with a stranger on a bench.

No comments:

Post a Comment